This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TATENHILL C.P. RANGEMORE SK 12 SE 5/98 Church of - All Saints GV II*
Chapel of Ease. 1866-7 by Butterfield for Thomas Bass, the Brewer, of The Lawns (q.v.), with south aisle also by Butterfield of 1884-6 and chancel by Bodley of 1895. Chisel-draughted, coursed and dressed stone and smooth dressings; tiled roofs with verge parapets. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and vestry. Tower: on plinth, of 3 stages divided by strings; angle buttresses of 4 stages continued as pilasters into slightly projecting top frieze of quatrefoils, pent stair turret to north- east; short broach spire with plate tracery lucarnes; 2-light pointed bell chamber openings, quatrefoil medallions either side of head, openwork wrought iron clock set within head, lancet to first stage and plate tracery, 2-light West window. Nave: gabled north porch with diagonal buttresses and pointed arch with trefoil-shaped label and quatrefoil to apex, set to west end of nave of 4 bays divided by single-stage buttresses; labelled 2-light plate tracery windows. Chancel: of 1895, more richly decorated than remainder, of 2 bays and lower roofline than nave; string below well-rebated 2-light pointed windows set under eaves. Similar 3-light East window with low-relief figures in tripartite panels below. South aisle: of 5 bays divided by gabletted 2-stage buttresses; fleurons to coved eaves band; raised cill string; pointed 3-light trefoil-headed windows, paired to east bay and paired 2-lights to west end; Priest's door to east bay; low flat-roofed vestry attached to east and run up flush with east end of chancel; unusual square-headed quatrefoil tracery, 4-light window to east side. Interior: 5-bay pointed arcade, with fleurons in the intrados, on clustered marble columns, pointed chancel arch; painted trussed nave roof; similarly painted, boarded barrel vault chancel roof; chancel with canted apsidal end with figures in niches and typical Bodley black and white marble floor; figures also set into reveals of aisle windows; organ bay roof finely painted; elaborate oak screen to chancel.
Pulpit: oak, 3-sided front on stone plinth. Font: under tower: octagonal of different coloured marbles, arcaded sides with cinquefoil gablets.
Reredos: oak-panelled and painted, stone figures to rear. Inscribed brass hatchments in chancel. B.o.E.
Listing NGR: SK1805522965
© Mr Geoffrey R Hood. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hood, Geoffrey R
Rights Holder: Hood, Geoffrey R
Stone, Tile, Victorian Chapel Of Ease, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship