This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 87 NW NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE
4/115 Church of St Mary
Church: C14 core, early C16 tower, early C17 additions, chancel of 1856 by Cuffley and Starkey, vestry dated 1860, general restoration 1877-8 by Austin and Paley. Ashlar buff and red sandstone. Kerridge stone-slate roof, 4-bay nave and aisles, 3-bay chancel, massive 4-stage tower and south porch. Porch has diagonal buttresses, crocketted pinnacles on the gable and a segmentally arched entrance.
Studded oak door with iron strap hinges in pointed arch behind. South aisle has a 3-light window with trefoil cusped heads and the 2-storey exterior of the Stanley pew (approached by a flight of stone steps to the right) with rectangular windows of 5 round-headed lights.
Clerestorey with simple 2-light windows. Chancel in Decorated style, the east window with reticulated tracery. North aisle has an inserted Jacobean dormer probably to light 3-decker pulpit. Tower has diagonal buttresses and bands at each stage. Pointed arched doorcase with Victorian Decorated west window. Simple 2-light window in 3rd stage and a pair of louvred 2-light Y-traceried bell openings above.
Gorgoyles support an embattled parapet.
Interior: 4-bay arcades on octagonal piers and with weakly pointed arches. South aisle contains the Stanley flying pew. Jacobean arcaded panelling to front with painted heraldry and a C18 Gothick hood. Inside is further panelling containing some medieval carving and a coved pyramidal Jacobean strapwork ceiling with a pendant. C18 musician's gallery has arms of Stanleys and other local landowners and now contains an organ of 1875. In chancel 2 Victorian recumbant effigies, the 1st Lord Stanley by Richard Westmacott jnr, the 2nd Lord Stanley by George Nelson with cosmatiesque work and a brass panel showing Lady Stanley and her 10 children. C14 font with plain circular bowl with carved head bosses on a cluster of 4 columns is very similar to Prestbury. Nave has a panelled barrel roof with cambered moulded tiebeams and the aisles have moulded panelled lean-to roofs (Pevsner and Hubbard).
The flying pew is unique in Cheshire, and the similarity of the tower with that in Mobberley suggests it is also by Richard Platt.
Listing NGR: SJ8416776144
© Mr Peter Sargeant. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sargeant, Peter
Rights Holder: Sargeant, Peter
Ashlar, Sandstone, Medieval Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Effigy