This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 87 NW NETHER ALDERLEY C.P. CHURCH DRIVE
4/117 Stanley Mausoleum in St Mary's Churchyard
Mausoleum: dated 1909 by Paul Phipps of London for the 4th Lord Sheffield. Ashlar buff and red sandstone, Kerridge stone-slate roof.
Neo-Jacobean style. Long rectangular plan, 2-storey, symmetrical 3-bay north front. Blank end bays divided from centre by delicate triangular pilasters. Moulded doorcase with a flat 4-centred arched head contains a pair of flat panelled oak doors. Above the door is the Stanley crest and a band of carved acanthus. 1st storey has a rebated 3-light hollow chamfered stone-mullioned windows and a band of carved acanthus above. Date plaque recessed in gable above. 4-light windows to the sides on 1st storey only.
Interior: Sides have 3 elliptically headed recesses and the ends semi-circular headed niches with a cabled edge. White marble sarcophagus of 4th Lord Sheffield and his wife of 1925 decorated with a band of cherubs and garlands. Some brass plaques and on open timber roof.
Listing NGR: SJ8415076099
© Mr Peter Sargeant. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sargeant, Peter
Rights Holder: Sargeant, Peter
Ashlar, Sandstone, Timber, Victorian Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Date Stone, Commemorative Stone, Plaque, Mausoleum, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Funerary Site