This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD5806SW STANDISHGATE 24-1/6/71 (West side) 11/07/83 No.136 with attached wall to the left
Town house with attached screen wall. Large town house, now integrated with No.138 (qv) as hotel. Imported rainwater head dated 1755; altered. Handmade red brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone plinth and dressings, slate roof. Double-depth double-fronted plan (plus C20 back extension). Georgian. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and 3 windows, symmetrical; with a 3-course plinth up to ground-floor sill level, rusticated quoins and modillioned eaves cornice. Central entrance, up a flight of 6 nosed steps flanked by curved stone walls, with a square-headed doorway in a shouldered architrave with keystone, a later panelled door and an overlight with geometric panes; 12-pane sashed windows in the centre and coupled 12-pane sashes in the outer bays, those at 2nd floor shorter and with square panes, and all in moulded architraves with keystones and moulded corbels to the sills. Moulded rainwater head left of centre with raised date "1755" and monogram. Original front-area railings on stone plinth, attached to entrance steps. Attached to left gable is a 2-storey screen wall and archway in similar materials, with panelled pilasters framing a tall elliptical-headed wagon archway with rusticated surround and keystone, a keyed oculus above, and a moulded cornice with blocking course. Rear altered. INTERIOR not inspected, but noted to contain features of interest including staircase. Forms group with No.134 (qv) adjoining to left and No.138 (qv) adjoining to right.
Listing NGR: SD5849306256
© Mr Peter Sargeant. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Sargeant, Peter
Rights Holder: Sargeant, Peter