Smithy And Cartshed Approximately 4 Metres North Of Yeo Farmhouse

30 Dec 2004
Smithy And Cartshed Approximately 4 Metres North Of Yeo Farmhouse, Chagford, West Devon, Devon
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.


3/97 Smithy and Cartshed approximately 4 metres north of Yeo Farmhouse 23.12.86


Smithy and cartshed. Probably C18, the smithy earlier than the cartshed, both thoroughly refurbished in mid-late C19. Smithy is granite stone rubble with corrugated iron roof; cartshed is timber framed with slate roof.

Plan: Smithy and adjoining cartshed on slightly different axises but both are basically facing south. They fill a space between 2 earlier buildings, the Old School House (q.v.) to left and the barn (q.v.) to right. The smithy is a single storey single cell building to the left (west) with a doorway in the right end. The 4-bay cartshed is to right (east).

Exterior: The front of the smithy contains a single late C19-early C20 fixed pane window high in the wall and right of centre. Contemporary plank door in right end and rear has 2 window apertures (the windows are now missing). The cartshed is open- fronted both ends. The roof was originally supported on timber posts but the lower sections of most of the posts have since been replaced by granite posts. Roof steps up from smithy to cartshed.

Interior: Smithy still contains C19 granite furnace with a granite trough. All the apertures here have external granite and internal timber lintels. Roof of C19 A- frame trusses. Cartshed roof also of C19 A-frame trusses but some of the timbers (maybe reused) are probably C18.

The smithy and cartshed form part of a group of attractive and important farm and mill buildings at Yeo which include the farmhouse (q.v.), the mill (q.v.), office and garden railings (q.v.), the Old School House (q.v.) and barn (q.v.). In the C19 the road was diverted south of the farm and therefore these buildings once fronted onto the road. The farm has been in the hands of the Perryman family since circa 1450.

Listing NGR: SX6783886588


This is part of the Series: IOE01/1729 IOE Records taken by A J L B Rodwell; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr A J L B Rodwell. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Rodwell, A J L B

Rights Holder: Rodwell, A J L B


Granite, Iron, Rubble, Slate, Stone, Timber, Stuart Blacksmiths Workshop, Georgian Industrial, Metal Workers Workshop, Craft Industry Site, Workshop, Industrial Building, Cart Shed, Transport, Road Transport Site