This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
KELVEDON HIGH STREET TL 8619-8719 (north-west side)
8/193 Quaker Meeting House, to rear of Nos. 203-5 29.5.87
Quaker meeting house, now a store. Early C18. Red brick in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Rectangular plan facing SE (internally, facing SW). C20 lean-to workshop against front elevation. C20 small lean-to against rear elevation. 2 storeys. 3 C18 sashes of 8 + 12 lights with segmental arches, and one oval window with radial tracery. Some crown glass.
Doorway reduced with C20 brickwork. Double range roof with leaded hips. One similar sash in each return, one in rear elevation. The NE end of the rear elevation has been rebuilt in the C20, retaining the earlier sash, with flettons on the inside. The interior originally had a boarded dado all round, of which some remains at the NE end. 2 wooden platforms for seating across the full width of the NE end survive. The Kelvedon Local Meeting was established in 1711. (Records at Friends' Meeting House, Colchester).
Listing NGR: TL8637319154
© Mr Reginald Clark. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Clark, Reginald
Rights Holder: Clark, Reginald
Brick, Tile, Stuart Friends Meeting House, Georgian Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Meeting House, Place Of Worship, Workshop, Industrial, Industrial Building, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building