Little Malvern Court

27 Jun 2004
Little Malvern Court, A 4104, Little Malvern, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire
Photograph (Digital)
Placeholder image

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search


This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LITTLE MALVERN CP A 4104 SO 74 SE 2/16 0 Little Malvern Court 11.8.52 GV II*

House, incorporating remains of conventual buildings of Priory Chruch of St Giles (qv). Early C14, late C15 and C16, with C17 and C18 alterations.

Additions of 1860 by Charles Hansom. Restored early 1960s. Stone, brick and timber-framing with tile roofs. Built around a small courtyard.

Comprises an east range which incorporates an early C14 hall, originally on the west side of the Priory cloister; a mid-C16 north range of timber- framing on a stone base, altered late C18 and on the site of the south aisle of the church; a three-storey stone tower of c1600 with stair turret on the south side. The west range incorporates two bays of a timber-framed building which is possibly late C15. The detailed plan and history are more complex. The east wall of the east (hall) range has a window at hall level to each side of a protecting stone stack, the right-hand one a C18 sash with glazing bars. To the right are external stone steps to a doorway at the high end of the hall with a doorway below to an undercroft. To the left in line with the screens, is a three-storey C17 turret of one bay.

This is timber-framed above the ground floor at undercroft level which is of stone and brick. The upper part of the south end of the range is timber- framed including the south gable wall. To the left of this in the middle of the south wall is the stone tower. This has a two-storey C19 square bay window with a mullioned and transomed window above on the second floor. To its left is the south end of Hansom's west range which has a two-storey canted bay window and a hipped roof. The gables were removed in the 1960's.

The north wall of the north range has stone mullioned windows on the ground floor and sashes with glazing bars above. To the right is a gable with exposed framing partly covered by a chimney. The west gable wall of this range also has some exposed framing. Interior: smoke blackened early C14 hall roof of four bays plus screens re-exposed during 1960's restoration.

Wind-braces are cusped. Trusses have knee-braces to lower collar, and cusping to upper collar which forms trefoil at apex. The spere truss has curved braces between aisle posts and collar, with tracery infill to the spandrels. Double wall-plate to west wall suggests that present timber- framed wall replaces stone.

Listing NGR: SO7698840369


This is part of the Series: IOE01/1215 IOE Records taken by Paul Leadbetter; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England


© Mr Paul Leadbetter. Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Leadbetter, Paul

Rights Holder: Leadbetter, Paul


Brick, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Benedictine Monastery, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Monastery, Religious House, Priory, House, Monument (By Form), Domestic, Dwelling, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, Tower, Unassigned, Building