This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ2904NW FIRST AVENUE 579-1/18/45 (East side) No.56
Includes: Nos.1-7 ST JOHN'S PLACE. Mews, now garages, hairstylists and dwellings. c1872, altered subsequently, shopfront of hairstylists inserted late C20. Yellow stock bricks, brick quoins, moulded bricks and stone dressings, hipped slate roofs with overhanging eaves carried on shaped brackets, large brick stacks with moulded coping rising from eaves on main elevation and flanking gable to first floor window. U-plan, originally symmetrical blocks flanking narrow entrance to mews' yard. The southern range is the more complete; 2 storeys, 1:3 bays, originally lit first floor only by segmental headed sash window with original glazing bars, moulded surround and hoodmould, surmounted by shallow gable, inner bay set back slightly and lit ground floor by inserted sash window, 3-bay blind arcade with segmental heads and keystones right, inserted doorway second bay left. Northern block with pvc first floor window and one bay extension on north front, 3 inserted plate glass windows and one inserted glazed door. Some original sash windows and doors survive in mews yard. Shown on the OS map of 1878 and probably part of the original layout of the Stanford estate by James Knowles.
Listing NGR: TQ2930604617
© Ms Mary Allison. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Allison, Mary
Rights Holder: Allison, Mary
Brick, Slate, Victorian Mews, Transport, Road Transport Site, Domestic, Multiple Dwelling, Dwelling, Hairdressers Salon, Commercial, Shop, Garage, Yard, Unassigned