Church Of St John The Evangelist / Kirkthwaite Chapel / Cowgill Chapel

Date:
20 Jul 2004
Location:
Church Of St John The Evangelist, Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria
Show all locations
Kirkthwaite Chapel, Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria
Cowgill Chapel, Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria
Reference:
IOE01/12861/11
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

DENT

SD78NE DENTDALE 162-1/12/33 (North side) 14/06/84 Church of St John the Evangelist

GV II

Formerly known as: Kirkthwaite Chapel DENTDALE. Formerly known as: Cowgill Chapel DENTDALE. Church. 1837-8. Coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof. Early English style. Six-bay nave with west bellcote and short 1-bay chancel with attached vestry in north angle. EXTERIOR: simple buttresses to three-quarter height, one tall lancet in each bay except the first, which is wider and has a gabled wooden porch protecting a 2-centred arched doorway, and a square slated bellcote on the ridge with wooden louvres and a steep pyramidal roof with a weathervane. The west gable has a short central buttress flanked by lancets and an oculus above and between these. The chancel has a stepped triple-lancet east window. INTERIOR: single vessel with very small sanctuary; plastered walls; scissor roof trusses with kingposts; pitch-pine benches; organ in south-east corner. The south wall has 3 arched marble wall monuments commemorating members of the Elam family: (1) Robert Elam C.E., d.1855 at Thorns Hall (Sedbergh CP, qv); (2) John Elam, Deputy Lieutenant and Justice of the Peace for the West Riding of Yorkshire, d.1862 at Thorns Hall; (3) Catherine Elam, d.1874 and Lucy Elam, d.1883, both at Thorns Hall. (See also Monument to Lucy Elam, Dentdale, qv).

The north wall has a sculpted wall monument with a seated angel inscribed "G.Nelson, Sculp." commemorating: Anne, widow of John Blackmore, d.1888 at Broadfield House (qv), her father Paul Nixon of Stone House (qv), d.1850, Anne his wife, d.1849, and also George Nelson, sculptor, died London 1888; and a smaller monument commemorating Dora Blackmore, d.1890 at Broadfield House. HISTORICAL NOTE: the subject of Professor Adam Sedgwick's "A Memorial to Cowgill Chapel" (1868): a plea for the ancient name of Cowgill to be retained. Forms group with associated gate piers (qv).





Listing NGR: SD7560286947

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/1212 IOE Records taken by Derek Le Mare; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Derek Le Mare. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Le Mare, Derek

Rights Holder: Le Mare, Derek