Former Vicarage

Date:
13 Mar 2005
Location:
Former Vicarage, Priory Close, Lancaster, Lancashire
Reference:
IOE01/12891/32
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

LANCASTER

SD4761NW PRIORY CLOSE 1685-1/6/232 Former Vicarage

GV II

Former vicarage for the Priory Church of St Mary (qv), now an office. 1848 altered C20. In an Elizabethan vernacular style. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings, and steeply-pitched slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers. Double-depth plan with 2 parallel ridges and, to the front, 2 cross-wings, between which is the entrance, with a narrow one-bay extension to the right which has a slightly more projecting cross-wing; prominent chimney stacks on the outer wall of all the cross-wings. 2 storeys, plus cellars and attics, with a string course above the ground floor, and 5 unequal bays. The gabled porch has cross-windows in the sides and a Tudor-arched doorway under a shield bearing the coat of arms of the Borough of Lancaster. Above the porch is a bas-relief carved with a branch and a scroll bearing the name of the builder, Joseph Turner, Vicar. In the centre of the first floor is a 4-light mullioned and transomed window under a relieving arch. This window is repeated, but without the relieving arch, in a taller version which projects slightly on both floors of the right-hand cross-wing, while the left-hand cross-wing has a 5-light mullioned and transomed window in a canted bay on both the ground and first floors. The attics are lit, in the cross-wings, by 2-light windows and, above the entrance, by a 2-light gabled dormer. The cross-wing on the far right has mullioned and transomed windows, of 4 lights on the ground floor and 3 lights on the first floor, both set under relieving arches. The garden front includes a projecting central gabled wing with a 2-storey mullioned and transomed canted bay window.

Listing NGR: SD4741161968

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2041 IOE Records taken by Chris Thoume; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Chris Thoume. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Thoume, Chris

Rights Holder: Thoume, Chris

Keywords

Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Vicarage, Domestic, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, House, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building, Coat Of Arms, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument