This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
659/10/244 LOWER ROAD 27-SEP-89 (South side) WHITE HOUSE
House for gunpowder worker; now house. C17, extended and altered C18. Brick with right-hand brick gable stack and a steep tiled roof.
PLAN: Single-depth one room plan, room added to left of entrance, and extended top rear outshut.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey and attic; 2-window range. Right-hand earlier part in English bond has a plinth and plat band, 20 door and segmental-arched ground-floor window, and similar windows in left-hand gable. Late-C20 glazing. Rear catslide outshut.
INTERIOR: Not inspected.
HISTORY: Described in 1806 as a millman's house, it was occupied by workers at the Ospringe Mill, a small C 18 gunpowder mill which formed part of the Home Mills which the government bought in 1759 to create the first Royal Gunpowder Works.
(Percival, A J, 'The Faversham Gunpowder Industry and its development', Faversham Papers, No 4, 3rd Ed. 1986; Cocroft, W, Dangerous Energy, Chapter 2, p26, draft 1998; NMR Report, Home Works, RCHME, p26, 1998).
Listing NGR: TR0044061140
© Mr D Godden. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Godden, D
Rights Holder: Godden, D
Brick, Tile, Stuart House, Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling