This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ4912NW ST MARY'S PLACE 653-1/11/584 (East side) 17/06/93 Former Nurses' Home
Former nurses' home, now disused. Dated 1910. Ruabon red brick with stone dressings and green slate roofs. 3 storeys and attic, with 4 storeys in outer bays. 9 unequal bays (2-4-1-2). Doorway in recessed 4-bay section: in pedimented architrave with Gibb's surround and bolection moulding over the pilasters inscribed "Nurses Home". Dated in cartouche below the pediment, 1910. Most windows are sashes with 6 panes over 2, with flat-arched gauged brick heads with stone keys. One oriel bay window at first floor in 4-bay range, carried on stone corbels and with balustraded parapet. Foundation stone below dated 1908. Tripartite windows with banded stone mullions in the central single bay, and Diocletian windows over in pedimented gable. Hipped roof over the advanced left hand bay, and pediment over right hand bay, also advanced. Mansard roof in central range. Stone quoins and string courses. Axial stacks with stone bands and arcaded decoration. Overhanging modillion eaves cornice.
Listing NGR: SJ4937712634
© Mr Cyril Baldwin. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Baldwin, Cyril
Rights Holder: Baldwin, Cyril
Brick, Slate, Stone, Victorian Date Stone, Commemorative, Commemorative Stone, Commemorative Monument, Nursing Home, Health And Welfare, Domestic, Residential Building