This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SEMINGTON CHURCH STREET ST 86 SE (south side) 4/180 Church of St George 13.11.82 GV II
Anglican and Methodist parish church. C16 and 1860 restoration.
Rubble stone and ashlar limestone, stone slate roof. Plan: Nave, chancel with south vestry, west bellcote and north porch. Gabled porch with diagonal buttresses, moulded Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould, coped verge with finial. North side of nave has C19 two-light square-headed window with cusped lights to right and 3- light segmental-pointed Perpendicular window with hoodmould to left of porch. North and south side of chancel has 3-light square- headed window with segmental-headed lights, east end has diagonal buttresses and C19 three-light window with reticulated tracery.
1877 half-octagonal south vestry with chamfered lancets and stone stack. South side of nave has blocked Tudor-arched doorway, C19 two-light square-headed window to left and 3-light segmental- pointed Perpendicular window to right. West end has diagonal buttresses, two C19 windows with reticulated tracery, hoodmoulds with foliage terminals. Central pilaster buttress carried up to a diagonally-set square bellcote with shouldered openings, diagonal buttresses and short pyramidal spire with weathercock.
Interior: Porch has inner Tudor-arched moulded doorway with C19 door, C19 boarded barrel-vaulted ceiling with carved bosses.
Nave has segmental-pointed stoup inside door to right, 5-bay pointed barrel-vaulted C19 boarded ceiling similar to one in porch.
Chancel has C19 pointed chancel arch with crocketed capitals and foliage mouldings, on half-cone corbels, arch-braced collar roof, also C19. Fittings: C19 nave and chancel seating, communion rail, circular stone pulpit on plinth, octagonal C15 style font with quatrefoiled panels. Stained glass by Gibbs in east window, 1880s unsigned, north and south chancel glass. Some good monuments; in chancel a large coloured marble to William Blagden of Littleton died 1697, on north wall a tablet to Robert Bisse died 1723. In the nave a classical marble tablet by King of Bath with standing female figure with urn, to James Matravers died 1799, a white marble on south wall to William Bruges died 1831 by Osmond of Sarum, with carved volutes and a pediment with heraldic arms and antefixa. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire, 1899)
Listing NGR: ST8994160502
© Mr John Burgoyne. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Burgoyne, John
Rights Holder: Burgoyne, John
Ashlar, Limestone, Marble, Rubble, Stone, Medieval Anglican Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Elizabethan Church, Place Of Worship, Methodist Chapel, Nonconformist Chapel, Chapel, Parish Church, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative, Vestry