This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
OVERBURY CP CHURCH ROW (south side) SO 9437 - 9537 9/135 No 1 GV II
Lodge to Overbury Court, now house. C18 or earlier origins, rebuilt and extended 1877-8 by Richard Norman Shaw for Robert Martin and further extended in c1940. Coursed limestone rubble and some decorative timber-framing with roughcast infill; plain tiled roof with gable-end parapets and ashlar ridge end stacks. Two storeys and attic with dormers; first floor of north front elevation is jettied on a moulded bressummer with close-set studding and a swept brace in the left lower corner. Three bays. Windows all have leaded casements. Ground floor has a 3-light, a 2-light and a 5-light chamfered stone mullioned window. On the first floor is a 4-light, a 3-light and a 5-light window-and there are two gabled dormers with moulded bargeboards and 4-light windows. At the west end is a single-storey hipped roofed addition which has a chamfered plinth and, in its north side, a doorway with moulded jambs and cambered head, a door with strap hinges, and a 2-light and a 4-light window at its west end. Its west side elevation faces the Church of St Faith (qv) and has two first floor windows of three lights and two lights and a lean-to porch on shaped brackets above a door with flanking leaded lights which now forms the main entrance. A c1940 single-storey wing adjoins to the south. Interior retains its c1877-8 slate and cast iron fireplaces. (Saint, A: Richard Norman Shaw, london, 1976).
Listing NGR: SO9574837428
© Mr Peter Harnwell. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Harnwell, Peter
Rights Holder: Harnwell, Peter
Ashlar, Limestone, Roughcast, Rubble, Tile, Timber, Stuart Lodge, Georgian Domestic