This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK3587SW CARVER STREET 784-1/24/150 (East side) 28/06/73 Church of St Matthew
Parish church and attached railing. 1854-55. By Flockton & Son. Chancel 1884, by JD Sedding. Redecorated c1960 by GG Pace. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: chancel and sanctuary, vestry and organ chamber, nave with clerestory, aisles with lady chapel and baptistry, west tower with spire. EXTERIOR: plinth and coped gables. Windows are mainly segmental pointed arched windows with panel tracery. Chancel east gable has a 5-light window with hoodmould and mask stops. Vestry to right has single gable and single side wall stack and to east, a pointed doorway and an ogee headed 3-light window, both with chamfered flat-headed surrounds. Outside, a 10m length of spiked railing. 5 bay nave has 5 pairs of 2-light windows on each side of the clerestory. Aisles have blank sides and at their buttressed west ends, 4-light windows with chamfered heads and linked hoodmoulds. South aisle has a similar window to east. Projecting lower stage of west tower forms the central feature of the west end. Large canted buttresses flanking a moulded segmental pointed doorway with a crenellated parapet on which stands a war memorial Calvary. Above the door, a 4-light window with hoodmould. Octagonal bell stage has thin angle buttresses topped with pinnacles, and crenellated parapet. Plain set back octagonal spire. INTERIOR: nave and chancel have queen post truss roofs with wooden wall shafts on corbels. Chancel has double chamfered arch with angel imposts. South side has chamfered arch into lady chapel, with wrought-iron screen. C19 stained glass east window. Sanctuary, in the east bay of the nave, has moulded alabaster screen wall and wrought-iron gate. Nave has 5 bay arcades with plain octagonal piers and chamfered arches with hoodmoulds. Sillband to clerestory. West end has a double chamfered tower arch with a traceried panelled gallery. Aisles have plain lean-to roofs and at their west ends, pointed doorways to the gallery. South aisle has double chamfered eastern arch with wrought-iron screen and gate into lady chapel, and at the west end a side door with hoodmould. Stained glass includes chancel east window 1884, by JD Sedding. North aisle west window 1902, by Lavers & Westlake. FITTINGS include octagonal panelled oak pulpit and font with repousse panels, by HJ Potter, 1903 and 1913. Carved altar and reredos 1886, by JD Sedding. Elaborately carved stalls. Entrance screen c1960 by GG Pace. This church was an important centre of missionary and charitable activity in central Sheffield in the second half of the C19. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-: 452).
Listing NGR: SK3513787108
© Mrs Barbara A West. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: West, Barbara A
Rights Holder: West, Barbara A
Ashlar, Slate, Stone, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship