This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK38NE ANDOVER STREET 784-1/6/16 (South side) 28/06/73 Seventh Day Adventist Church, adjoining school and boundary wall (Formerly Listed as: ANDOVER STREET Andover Street Methodist Church)
Methodist church, now Seventh Day Adventist church, and adjoining school and boundary wall. Church and boundary wall 1865. By William Hill of Leeds. For the Methodist New Connexion. School dated 1862. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and steep pitched gabled and hipped slate roofs with coped gables. Gothic Revival style. PLAN: vestigial chancel, vestries, transepts, nave with galleries, crypts, south-west tower, north-west porch. EXTERIOR: windowless chancel has hipped roof and to north, a corridor with lower pitched hipped roof. Transepts have flanking buttresses and 3 single lancets with linked hoodmoulds. Above, plate traceried round window. Crypt, to south, has 3 windows. To east and west, a single window on each floor, the upper ones lancets. North transept lower window covered by school. Buttressed nave, 3 bays, has on each side 3 double windows and above, 3 double lancets. West end has a tall 3-light pointed arched window with tracery, flanked by single lancets, with linked hoodmoulds. Above, a crosslet. Below, a pointed arched double doorway with central shaft, under a shallow gable, and flanked by small single lancets. Square south-west tower, 3 stages, has string courses and octagonal broach spire with 4 steeply hipped lucarnes, finial and weathercock. Ground stage has a triple lancet to west, with hoodmould, and a small light to south. Second stage has a cusped single lancet on 3 sides. Tapered bell stage has panelled sides with dentilled heads and a 2-light pointed arched bell opening with plate tracery to each face. 2 storey north-west porch has hipped roof. Plain triple lancet to north and west. Chamfered doorway to north, with hoodmould, and single lancet to west. Adjoining school has brick dressings and a gable stack. Single storey; 5 window range. Larger central block has a round-arched recess with fanlight, containing C20 door. On either side, a round-arched glazing bar window. Beyond, lower set back wings, the left with 2 casements, the right with a single 3-light casement, both C20. INTERIOR: largely original with moulded pointed arched opening to east, containing panelled choir gallery and Gothic organ case. Below, panelled square pulpit with wooden balustraded railing. Nave has gallery on 3 sides with openwork front and canted corners, carried on round cast-iron posts with wooden brackets. Arch braced roof with wooden ribs at the crossing. Transepts have glazed wooden screens. On either side, 3 windows and a door. At the rear, late C20 wooden enclosure. West porch and tower have stone winder stairs. Fittings include panelled softwood benches. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outside, adjoining boundary wall, raised mid C20, with stepped chamfered coping. At the rounded north-west corner, a pair of square ashlar gate piers with pyramidal caps and wrought-iron gates. On the north and south sides, similar piers with smaller gates. (Researches by G Hague, Sheffield City Council).
Listing NGR: SK3575488620