This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HARTLAND SS 22 NW
1/128 - Folly known as "The Pleasure House"
Folly. Possibly late C16 in origin remodelled in later C18. Coursed roughly square rubble walls. Roofless. Square on plan. Now partly ruinous tall structure, western wall has gone. Large roundheaded arch with dressed stone voussoirs and projecting imposts on east side. Signs of extensive alterations include traces of windows built up and there is also evidence of a fireplace on the 2nd floor and a staircase.
The Pleasure House is first mentioned by that name in a letter of 1738 and is first shown on an early C18 map of the Abbey drawn to show the estate at the time of the 2 William Abbots in the later C16. The second Paul Orchard (1739 - 1812) is reputed to have altered the building so that he could back his carriage in and admire the view.
Sources: The Book of Hartland - R. Pearse Chope; Hartland Quay - The story of a Vanished port - M. Rix and M. R. Meyers; Hartland Abbey, Devon II Richard Haslam: [Country Life September 15 1983.]
Listing NGR: SS2264325082
© Dr Barbara Hilton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hilton, Barbara
Rights Holder: Hilton, Barbara
Rubble, Stone, Tudor Folly, Elizabethan Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Garden Building