This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5186 GERVIS ROAD (South Side) No 9 (Earl's Court) SZ 0991 20/177 31.1.75.
Polychromatic Gothic villa, circa 1865, 3 storeys and basement, grey brick with red brick bands and voussoirs. Half-hipped gables with thick traceried bargeboards and moulded brick cornices. Half-hipped porch canopy at north-west corner on chamfered timber brackets, staircase up to vestibule lit by 2-light windows with stone Geometrical tracery. Straight-headed 4-light window to hall, next to it tall arched 4-light staircase window with Geometrical tracery. Projecting north-east wing closing forecourt. Garden front (south) dominated by off-centre polygonal bay with steeply gabled dormers in hipped roof. Chimneys with end stacks turned diagonally and vertical strips of red brick. Built in 1874 by the first Earl Cairns who was Lord Chancellor in Disraeli's Governments of 1867-8 and 1874-80. He occupied the house until his death in 1885. Included for historical reasons.
Listing NGR: SZ0991991224
© Mr Roy Lownds. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Lownds, Roy
Rights Holder: Lownds, Roy
Brick, Victorian Forecourt, Unassigned, Villa, Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Domestic, House, Dwelling