This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
The following buildings shall be added:
CROSS GREEN 1.
1480 (north side) SE 2045 SE 2145 2/105 Pair of Cemetery Chapels at Otley Cemetery II 2.
Pair of cemetery chapels. c1875. Rock-faced and ashlar sandstone, graduated Welsh slate roofs. Single-storey, gable-fronted chapels linked by archway under 2-stage tower with spire. Gothic Revival style with geometrical tracery. Central tower has quoined side buttresses and moulded pointed arch rising from corbelled shafts; hoodmould with head-carved stops. Offset belfry stage with 2 cusped and louvred windows linked by hoodmould; broach spire with lucarnes in 2 tiers.
Chapels to each side are linked by narrow recessed bays with single-light windows under hoodmoulds. Each chapel has chamfered plinth, quoins, offset angle buttresses and large 4-light window with cusped and foiled head under hoodmould; shaped kneelers and gable copings. Side doorways beneath tower have moulded archer with hoodmoulds. Opposed side doorways are similar but set in gabled projections. 2-light windows to each side; cusped and foiled gable openings to rear. Interior: chapel on right has fitted pews and arch-braced roof on corbels; left chapel similar but now used as store.
Listing NGR: SE2087745877
© Krystyna Szulecka. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Szulecka, Krystyna
Rights Holder: Szulecka, Krystyna
Ashlar, Sandstone, Slate, Victorian Cemetery Chapel, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Chapel, Place Of Worship, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building