This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5111 FOUNTAIN STREET BDl
Fountain Hall SE 1633 SE 36/518
Circa 184O-1850, originally the Friends Meeting House. Tall 2-storey sandstone ashlar front with heavy classical details. Chamfered rusticated quoins; plinth, first floor sill band, bed mould to modillion brackets supporting projecting cornice; parapet with coping returned to sides. Five windows, 3 grouped to centre on first floor in eared architrave surrounds, outer ground floor windows have cornices on consoles. Below the central group of 3 windows is a large tetrastyle Roman Doric portico in antis. Flight of steps leads up to 3 archivolt arched pilastered doorway. A modern canopy has been bracketed out from the portico entablature.
Three window single-storey wing with similar details to right hand.
Listing NGR: SE1605033479
© Krystyna Szulecka. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Szulecka, Krystyna
Rights Holder: Szulecka, Krystyna
Ashlar, Sandstone, Victorian Friends Meeting House, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Nonconformist Meeting House, Place Of Worship