This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
Pan Grinding House with attached engine house, boiler house and chimney, 1860-70, modified late C20. Red brick beneath slate roofs. A long narrow range running west-east with three storey grinding house, two storey engine house and single storey boiler house respectively, the latter with hexagonal brick chim- ney. Elevations to grinding shop have rusticated pilasters with recessed panels and segmental windows within the bays. Parapets to all buildings. The boiler house has paired divided segmental windows within segmental headed recessed panels. Interior: The pans for grinding bone are intact with their devices on two floors which are of cast-iron and jack arch construction. The ground floor is an undercroft for the gear drives. The engine house floor is intact, with the heavy joist which supported the engine beam and the gap in the floor for the beam itself. Cantilevered stair. Early electrical switchgear. The boiler house was modified in late C20 with the insertion of gas fired calcining kilns. This is only one of two known intact examples of this type of building, the other being in Stoke on Trent.
© Mr John Burrows. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Burrows, John
Rights Holder: Burrows, John
Brick, Slate, Victorian Bone Mill, Industrial, Animal Product Site, Mill, Industrial Building, China Factory, Factory, Pottery Manufacturing Site, Mineral Product Site, Boiler House, Steam Power Production Site, Power Generation Site, Engine House, Chimney