This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
HORNCLIFFE LOANEND NT 95 SW 1/63 Union Suspension Bridge (that part in England)
Suspension bridge. 1819-20 by Capt. S. Brown R.N. Sandstone ashlar piers.
Iron with wood roadway.
On Scottish side tall battered, rusticated pier with round arch for the roadway, bold dentil cornice and high blocking course carrying the cables.
In the blocking course an iron inscription VIS UNITOR FORTIOR 1820, with intertwined roses and thistles.
The pier at the English end is built into the cliff. It has similar rustication and 2 stages. The lower stage contains an aedicule with modillion cornice surrounding a bronze plaque of 1902; this stage has a modillion cornice.
Battered upper stage has dentilled cornice and a high blocking course bearing a similar iron inscription.
The roadway is suspended from 3 pairs of wrought-iron chains with elongated bars connected by bar links. The upper steel table is a later strengthening.
This 'bar link' was the invention of Samuel Brown and was used here for the first time. When it was built this was the longest suspension bridge in the world. It was remarkable also for costing only 5,000 instead of an anticipated 20,000 for a stone bridge. It remains Britain's oldest suspension bridge in road use. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: NT9341651034
© Mr Don Brownlow. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brownlow, Don
Rights Holder: Brownlow, Don
Ashlar, Iron, Sandstone, Wood, Georgian Suspension Bridge, Victorian Monument <By Form>, 20th Century Bridge, Transport, Plaque, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument