This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TQ2576 NEW KINGS ROAD SW6
333-/10/10020 No.235 Duke of Cumberland Public House
Public House. 1892. Built to the designs of Mr R. Cruwys, architect and surveyor. Corner building three storeys plus attic with donners. 3 bays on each elevation. Red brick with artificial stone dressing. Slate roof Three prominent stacks, brick with artificial stone caps. Intermittent stone balustrade and parapet at first-floor level. Central frontispieces at parapet level in Baroque style with broken segmental arches, swan neck gablets intersecting modil1ion cornice, volutes etc. Round-arched windows on upper storey; pairs of flat-arched windows on second storey separated by granite colonnettes. Ground floor projects out to on New Kings Road side and extends back along Peterborough Road (former billiard room). INTERIOR: Cast-iron columns, fluted with Composite capitals placed below a timber grid which indicates the original subdivisions. Original bar, polished wood with swollen brackets, arched superstructure with ornamental carving above. Original fire surround to right of bar. Area in front of bar has complete tiled wall divided into three compartments by borders. Central tiled plaque in each compartment depicts figure in medieval dress. An unusually complete interior.
Listing NGR: TQ2515476366
© Mr David Addison. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Addison, David
Rights Holder: Addison, David
Brick, Slate, Victorian Public House, Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational