This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
4411 CLAY HILL (North Side) Walls to north of Gough Park Cottage TQ 3398 3/280
Three ranges of tall mid late C18 walls. Red brick in Flemish bond sloped up on outer sides to coping of bricks on sides. Coping possibly later. Flat buttresses at intervals. The longest wall, running east-west through the gardens, has two pairs of gate piers, the eastern pair rebuilt at the top with replaced pineapple finials and supporting a wrought iron gate with ornamental overthrow. A spur wall runs north and is ramped up to a taller wall probably later in date, of larger bricks and having a blocked gateway. Some rebuilding to upper courses. The long wall is in poor repair at the west end, having lost several top courses. A wrought-iron fence with ornamental panels and spearhead standards, links it to the road. The walls are of interest as forming garden divisions in the estate of Richard Gough FSA, FRS (1735- 1809) the antiquarian and topographer, who came into the property in 1774. The Cambridge architect James Essex designed improvements to the now demolished mansion and may have laid out these walls.
Listing NGR: TQ3327798392
© Mr A. Gude. Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Gude, A.
Rights Holder: Gude, A.
Brick, Wrought Iron, Georgian Garden Wall, Gardens Parks And Urban Spaces, Monument <By Form>, Wall, Barrier, Fence, Gate, Unassigned, Gate Pier
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.