This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SD 90 SE MOSSLEY CARHILL ROAD (north-west side)
1/102 Church of St. John - the Baptist
Church. 1878-9. Wild and Collins. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Nave and chancel under one roof with south aisle, south-west tower, south vestry and north porch. 6-bay nave and 2-bay chancel, separated on north only by a taller buttress. 2-light nave and aisle windows with geometrical tracery between weathered buttresses. Cusped circular clerestory window. 5-light east window, geometrical tracery. Twin-gabled vestry.
Coped gables. 3-stage tower with east door, angled weathered buttresses, 2 lancet belfry openings and a broach spire. Interior: aisle has been partitioned off to form a chapel. Chamfered-arch nave arcade on circular columns with moulded bases and capitals. Arch-braced roof trusses.
Polygonal stone font. Stained glass.
Listing NGR: SD9761502994
© Mr Brian Lomas. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Lomas, Brian
Rights Holder: Lomas, Brian
Ashlar, Slate, Stone, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship