This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
TL3212NW ST ANDREW STREET 817-1/16/206 (South side) 12/04/73 Nos.17-23 (Odd)
Hall house, subsequently tenements with shops, now shops, and storage. Late C15 extended and floored C17, C19 alterations. Timber-framed and plastered, left (east) flank weatherboarded.
Old tiled roof with grey brown brick chimneystack at left (east), square red brick chimneystack with band and 4 long orange pots on ridge in centre. EXTERIOR: 2 bay Wealden Hall house with storeyed bays left and right, extended eastwards 1 bay; 2-storey and attics. First floor has 4 irregularly spaced flush-set sash windows of different sizes, 20:12:12:12:16 pane. Jettied overhang with brackets, and C19 and C20 shopfronts and shop windows below. No.17 has 2 plate glass closed windows with central mullion, between 2 pilasters, head of former bow window above, half-glazed door to right; No.19 has timber-framed plate glass closed window; half-glazed door in position of former door into hall; No.21 has closed plate glass window at left, C20 glazed door, and C20 square plate glass oriel carried on cut brackets at right; No.23 has door with upper glazed panel, with panelled fanlight, with pierced vent, above, late C19 plate glass window in heavy timber-frame at right. Rear elevation much altered and extended. Broad timber-framed pebbledashed 2-storey wing at left behind No.23, lean-to extension behind No.19, slated catslide roof at rear of No.17.
INTERIOR: framing and studwork exposed within each individual unit. No.17 has a central chamfered and tongue-stopped beam, rear wall removed. Attic has evidence for raising roof, original arrangement appears to have had windbracing, now removed, spreading of roof necessitated installation of wrought-iron tie rods in C19. Exposed heavy studwork in party wall with No.19 at first-floor levels indicates outer wall of east cross wing. No.19 contains the structure of the east cross wing and a C17 inserted chimneystack. Ground floor has mortices for studs, a 3-light window and downward curving bracing in wall plate beneath jetty and adjoining heavy jowled post, which appears to have had the original front door immediately to the west. The existence of a cambered tie beam with mortices for arch bracing at first-floor level suggests that the first floor was open to the hall below. No.21 is double fronted and contained the 2 bay hall. The
ground floor contains some C17 panelling, and a very heavy post for the central truss, heavily moulded on post and tie beam visible on inserted chamber floor, much cut back to create headroom, and with arch braces missing, apart from a small portion. Inserted stack has 3 canted arched fireplace on first floor. No.23 contains the west storeyed wing with 2 blocked doorways.
Roof structure of whole block raised C17 to create additional first-floor headroom and attics. Upper roof structure above attics not accessible. (Smith JT: English Houses 1200-1800: The Hertfordshire Evidence: London: 1992-: 148; Smith JT: Hertfordshire Houses: Selective Inventory: London: 1993-: 87).
Listing NGR: TL3238012626
© Mr A. Gude. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Gude, A.
Rights Holder: Gude, A.
Pebbledash, Plaster, Tile, Timber, Weatherboard, Medieval Jettied House, Tudor Monument <By Form>, Jettied Building, Timber Framed Building, Timber Framed House, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Wealden House, Hall House, Shop, Commercial, Storehouse, Unassigned, Building, Lodgings, Residential Building