This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
MIDHURST WEST STREET (south side) SU 8821 21/68 The Gateway to the Commandery 18.6.59 - II
This is all that remains of the Old Commandery. C16. Doorway in wooden surround with an inner rail of bead and spindle and an outer rail of egg and dart. Stone parapet above with the tablet recording that 'In 1811 the Commandery House of the Knights of St John stood here'. There is also a drawing by Grimm of it dated 1791.
Listing NGR: SU8860421421
© Lorna Freeman. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Freeman, Lorna
Rights Holder: Freeman, Lorna
Stone, Wood, Medieval Gate, Tudor Unassigned, Elizabethan Hospitallers Preceptory, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Preceptory, Religious House