This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SS9512 LEAT STREET, Tiverton 848-1/6/209 Two entrance lodges to John 12/02/52 Heathcoat's Lace Factory
Pair of lodges to the Heathcoat lace factory (demolished). c1820s. Flemish bond brick; natural slate roofs, gabled at ends. Left-hand lodge preserves a brick stack with two old tapering pots. The lodges flank the entrance to the Heathcoat factory (rebuilt after a fire and not included). EXTERIOR: single-storey lodges have deep eaves on brackets, the gables treated as pediments on front and rear. The left-hand lodge has a clock in the pediment; the right-hand has a wooden roundel with a bust in relief of John Heathcoat.
Lodges have angle pilasters and platbands below the pediments.
Tall doorways on sides flanking road to factory. End walls have 12-pane hornless sash windows, 2 on the elevation facing the road and one on the rear. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: John Heathcoat took over a factory on the site in 1816, when be brought his manufactory from Loughborough to Tiverton. Heathcoat played a major role in the development of the West Exe area on the factory side of the River Loman. The lodges have group value with Heathcoat's factory school.
Listing NGR: SS9517412708
© Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hooper, Hedley R.
Rights Holder: Hooper, Hedley R.