This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5191 WEST STREET (North Side)
Engineers' shop and Training Centre at the Court Mills SY 4693 2/518
Circa 1859 (date of staircase). Hammer dressed stone. Red brick dressings. Pitched slate roof. Coped gable ends on kneelers. Bell cote with shaped gable at south end, finial at north end with spirally placed black brick headers and moulded brick cornice. 2 storeys and attics. 9 ranges of industrial windows. North end has 1 range enclosed in red brick relieving arch. South end has cast iron external staircase supported on brick wall and iron brackets to balcony: elaborate ornamental balusters: inscribed "J B Payne. Perry Street Works, Chard. 1859". Interior has 1 row of cast iron columns taking brick jack arches: cast iron brackets originally taking machinery line ground floor.
Listing NGR: SY4641893097
© Mr Duncan Miller. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Miller, Duncan
Rights Holder: Miller, Duncan
Brick, Slate, Stone, Georgian Engineering Workshop, Victorian Industrial, Engineering Industry Site, Workshop, Industrial Building, Training Centre, Education, Bell Tower, Religious Ritual And Funerary