This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
In the entry for:
LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM 1.
4407 Church of Saint John the Baptist TQ 36 SE 13/25 28.5.54 B the Grade shall be amended to read Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:-
Parish Church. Late C15, incorporating some earlier stonework. Baptistery 1825, north aisle widened 1844 as part of restoration by John Whichcord; organ chamber 1889 by J D Sedding; vestries added over and to north of chapel in 1961. Knapped flint with stone dressings; some stone to lower walls of chapel, rendered chancel. Tiled roof Chancel, nave with west bapistery, south tower with entrance porch beneath, north chapel and aisle, the latter doubled in width in 1844 to which the vestries abut to east. The nave, north aisle and tower refaced in 1844, when top oftower rebuilt with machicolations; the windows all C15 and mostly oftwo cinquefoil lights under straight heads.
Interior. Arch to chapel C14, chancel arch and arcades may also predate the recorded C15 rebuilding; Two-bay chancel arcade, three-bay nave arcade much restored 1844-7. Chancel with medieval tiles, reset; mosaic pavement 1896. Fine fittings by Sedding include the organ case (organ 1860s), pulpit, linenfold panelling, chancel pews with poppyheads and rood screen (this last said to be C15 in origins and resited as parclose screen in 1991). Reredos 1930s. East window by Herbert Bryans, 1901; his also the small south-east window. South window by C E Kempe.
Chapel with resited brasses, and three windows filled with early C16 stained glass figures reset in modern quarries after 1945. North-west window of chapel with glass perhaps by Willement. Nave with western gallery, perhaps of 1825 or a little later, on cast-iron columns; low, narrow bapistery behind built as vestry in 1825 and adapted 1912. Late C15 font. Late C19 pews. West window with figures by Herbert Bryans in mid-C20 quarries. Nine late C18 and early C19 hatchments in chancel and nave. North aisle with two windows by C E Kempe, 1896, and one by Powell of whitefiiars. by Bryans the two windows in the porch. Many memorials, including that of Samuel Lennard, d.1618, tomb chest, and Margaret Hobbes, d.1608, wall monument of small figure with stillborn child.
LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM 1.
4407 Church of St John the Baptist TQ 36 SE 13/25 28.5.54.
C15 restored in 1844 when the North Aisle was added. Knapped flint with stone dressings. North chapel flint and stone rubble. Chancel rendered.
Tiled roof. Tower to the south of the Nave, of which the ground floor serves as a porch. C15 chancel screen.
Listing NGR: TQ3889864854
© Mr Robert Smedley. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Smedley, Robert
Rights Holder: Smedley, Robert
Flint, Render, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Medieval Church, Tudor Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Chest Tomb, Tomb, Funerary Site, Architectural Fragment, Unassigned