This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ST6834NW BRUTON CP PATWELL STREET (West side) 8/130 Nos 3 and 5 (formerly listed as the Old Bull Inn) 24.3.61 GV II
Former Inn, now two houses. C18. Local stone plinth, rendered above and lined as ashlar; Welsh slate roof hipped at East end; central brick chimney stack. 2 storeys with attics, 3 bays. 12-pane sash windows, in pairs to bays 1 and 3 ground floor; 6-panel door left of bay 1 in heavy frame and plain surround; to bay 2 keystoned 3-centre carriage arch on impost blocks with deep corbels; between first floor windows rendered panels with reverse curved corners; first floor windows have architraved surrounds, the centre lugged and heeled; above bays 1 and 3 two pitched roof dormers.
Return and lead flat-roofed angle on East side. Interiors not seen. The Old Bull Inn first recorded 1680, became Bruton's main coaching inn, and closed about 1960. (Couzens P, Bruton in Selwood, Abbey Press, Sherborne, 1972).
Listing NGR: ST6837334872
© Mr Michael Green. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Green, Michael
Rights Holder: Green, Michael
Ashlar, Render, Stone, Welsh Slate, Stuart Inn, Georgian Commercial, Domestic, Residential Building, House, Monument <By Form>, Dwelling, Coaching Inn