The Rectory / Rectory And Glebe Cottage

Date:
24 Sep 2007
Location:
The Rectory, Parsonage Road, West Camel, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22 7QB
Show all locations
Rectory And Glebe Cottage, Parsonage Road, West Camel, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22 7QB
Reference:
IOE01/15625/03
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

ST52SE WEST CAMEL CP PARSONAGE ROAD (West side)

4/147 The Rectory (Previously listed as 19.4.61 Rectory and Glebe Cottage)

GV II*

Rectory, now house. Probably early C15 with modifications and major addition of circa 1830. Local stone roughly coursed, with Ham stone dressings to mullioned windows; Welsh slate roofs, between coped gables to the early wing and hipped with wide eaves soffites to the C19 wing; brick chimney stacks. "T"-plan of 2-storeys, the older North wing being set at right angles to the later. North elevation has 6-bay random fenestration; Bay-1 plain chamfer mullioned window, nothing above: bay-2 modern casement window below and 3-light ovolo mould mullioned casement window with leaded lights above, complete with wrought iron casement window stay; bay 3 a C20 glazed door with C19 casement window above; bay 4 wooden casement window below and early casement window with leaded lights above; bay 5 old casement window with leaded lights and wood lintol with nothing above; bay-6 old casement windows with leaded lights at both levels. The East, roadside, gable has hollow chamfered mullioned window, blocked with label dressed off, together with later mullioned windows; low down in the South-east corner traces of a stone door arch or relieving arch. On the small South return wall another blocked pointed arch doorway. The matching C19 wing, running Southwards, has 2-storeys of 5-bays, with central 6-panel door with fanlight; 12-pane sash windows, all in plain openings with flat voussoired heads. Interior said to contain 4 cusped-archbraced cruck trusses with king-strut braces to the North wing roof, unusual in Somerset and with suggested date of 1400. Rooms considerably re-arranged and original plan form uncertain.

The older wing may form part of the Grange pertaining to Muchelney Abbey; the South wing probably added by Revd. Henry Law, Rectory 1824 to 1836. With the C15 Barn (qv) and Dovecote (qv) this is an important group survival. (VA6 Report, unpublished SRO, 1980; E.K. Garrett, The Story of West Camel, unpublished MSS in Yeovil Public Library).

Listing NGR: ST5791624563

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0460 IOE Records taken by Michael Cook; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Michael Cook. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cook, Michael

Rights Holder: Cook, Michael

Keywords

Stone, Welsh Slate, Medieval Cruck House, Monument <By Form>, Timber Framed House, Timber Framed Building, House, Domestic, Dwelling, Vicarage, Clergy House, Clerical Dwelling, Grange, Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Religious House