This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WITCHFORD MAIN STREET TL 5078 (South Side)
20/31 Church of St Andrew 5.2.52 - II*
Parish church. C13 west tower, and 1376 nave and chancel. Field and rubblestone and dressed limestone dressings. Plain tiled roof with end parapet to chancel. Plan of west tower, aisleless nave and chancel.
Three-stage embattled west tower has C18 gault brick repairs. No plinth and unbuttressed. Dressed limestone quoins. Restored west window of two lights in two centred arches and similar paired lights to bell stage. Nave: Three windows of three cinquefoil lights with Decorated tracery in two centred arch with label. Continuous double chamfered north and south doorways. Nave buttressing has off-set. Canted west walls with single lancet to connect with west tower. The chancel has east window of three lights with Decorated tracery. Interior: C17 staggered butt purlin nave roof. C13 two centred tower arch partly blocked. Chancel arch is two centred and of two chamfered orders, the inner on engaged shaft with moulded capital. Two niches, C14-C15, flank the chancel arch. There is a low side window in the south wall. The font is C13. Limestone. Tapering octagon on a column with splayed lower edge and moulded holdwater base.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.504 V.C.H. Cambs. IV
Listing NGR: TL5038178789
© Mr Peter Tree. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Tree, Peter
Rights Holder: Tree, Peter
Brick, Limestone, Rubble, Stone, Tile, Timber, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship