Second Enclosure At Doncaster Race Course

Date:
8 Aug 2006
Location:
Second Enclosure At Doncaster Race Course, Leger Way, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Reference:
IOE01/15653/19
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

TOWN OF DONCASTER LEGER WAY SE 50 SE (south side)

3/61 Second Enclosure at Doncaster Race Course II

Race course stand. 1881, extended 1901, with C20 restoration. Yellow brick with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Three storeys in height, approximately 12 bays, t rectangular in plan. Front elevation has central entrance through archway with moulded semi-circular arch on brick jambs, below panelled ashlar spandrels and plaque inscribed 'Charles Stockil Esq, Alderman, Chairman of the Race Committee 1881, extended 1901, Frederick Bightman, J B Chairman'. Plain ashlar parapet above.

Slightly advanced to left is the original ground floor of the 1881 stand which has a 7 bay colonnade of paired Tuscan columns flanked by engaged columns to either end, supporting entablature with moulded cornice. Beyond to either end are advanced bays which have low semi-circular headed recesses with radiating voussoirs set in horizontally rusticated stonework, below deep entablature with plain band to base, plain frieze with swagged central panel and moulded cornice. Balustraded parapets over colonnade, plain parapets over end bays, all with plinths and moulded copings.

Recessed behind the colonnade is a brick wall with 7 semi-circular headed openings, now all with C20 half-glazed doors below plain fanlights. To right of central archway projects 13 stone steps with plain metal railings to sides. To far right corner is the remains of a similar advanced bay as those to either end of the colonnade. Above and behind, the steps continue up until they reach the back wall flanked on either side by ramped brick walls with stone copings. Front of roof is supported by 7 iron columns with arched braces to top, similar columns to sides.

Hipped roof with square vents flanking central square clock turret which has taper- ing base, clock faces to four sides and belled leaded roof topped by open ironwork ogee finial. Within the building to the left are a pair of semi-circular headed arches giving access to the steps. Rear elevation has 6 tall semi-circular headed windows through both ground and first floor of left-hand bays with lintels at first floor level, 3 6-pane sashes over with segmental brick arches and stone sills, each flanked to right by similar blind opening. 6 right-hand bays have tall sashes flanked by semi-circular doorcases to ground floor, 12-pane sashes to first floor; and 4 6-pane sashes above, all below flat brick arches. Listed partly for historic association, as racing has played an important role in the history of Doncaster, a C19 grandstand is also a rarity.

Listing NGR: SE5948103102

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/0420 IOE Records taken by David Clayton; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr David Clayton. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Clayton, David

Rights Holder: Clayton, David

Keywords

Ashlar, Brick, Slate, Victorian Grandstand, Recreational, Sports Building, Sports Site, Racecourse, Racing Sports Site