The White Lion Public House

Date:
24 Jun 2007
Location:
The White Lion Public House, 615 London Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S2 4HT
Reference:
IOE01/15654/36
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

SK 38 SE SHEFFIELD LONDON ROAD

1/10/10065 No.615 The White Lion Public House

II

Public house and former hotel. c.1800 to late C19 with early and late C20 remodelling. Red brick. Welsh slate roof at front, rear parts under slate and plain cement tile roofs. End stacks. PLAN. A range of bars entered off a central corridor which leads to a large open area created in the late C20. Servery in left-hand part of the building. EXTERIOR. 3 storeys to road, reducing to 1 and 2 storeys at rear. Road facade ground floor, remodelled early C20, with central entrance, green glazed brick dado with large windows above containing stained glass. At the sides pilasters terminating in consoles each incorporating a lion's head. Above late C20 fascia bearing the pub name. 2nd and 3rd floor red brick each with 4 2-light sash windows, those on the second floor under stone lintels. At rear a one storey range with attic and under a separate roof parallel to the road which appears to indicate the earliest phase of the building. At right angle to this a 2-storey C19 wing with sash windows extends further backward. 1-storey C20 toilet block. INTERIOR. Small entrance lobby leads to an expanded corridor area with servery and doors to the bar and 'private smoke room', designations which are indicated in the etched glass of the respective doors. Hatch from lobby to the bar. Rich white and blue tiled dado in the corridor. To right of the corridor and beyond the smoke room separate 1920s snugs with clear glazing screenwork. HISTORY. An ale house since at least 1781 and which stood some distance back from the road. Between 1877 and 1884 the front was brought forward to the road. The present frontage and much of the internal decoration and fittings date from a 1920s remodelling by the brewers Duncan Gilmour whose monogram appears in the glass. This public house illustrates the development from a C18 beerhouse to a pub-cum-hotel in the early C20. It retains much of its late C19/early C20 planning and fittings. Source: notes in the pub based on research for Joshua Tetley & (o.(1986) by c. M. Scargill.



Listing NGR: SK3514184927

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2169 IOE Records taken by Barbara A West; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mrs Barbara A West. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: West, Barbara A

Rights Holder: West, Barbara A

Keywords

Brick, Cement, Tile, Welsh Slate, Georgian Public House, Victorian Commercial, Licensed Premises, Eating And Drinking Establishment, Recreational, Hostel, Domestic, Residential Building