This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SK 38 NE SHEFFIELD RICHMOND ROAD
784/6/10056 Church of St Catherine of Siena 13/06/97 II
Church. 1958-62. Basil Spence. Brown brick. Roof not visible. Slate cladding to entrance block of parish hall. Rectangular nave sweeping around into a semicircular apsed sanctuary . EXTERIOR: entrance to liturgical south-west and parish hall to liturgical west with vestry. Carved words "The Church of St Catherine" to left of recessed entrance. Tower linked to liturgical south-east, and comprising two convex slabs forming a sacristy at ground level and linked by concrete beams above. Patinated bronze sculptural group with crucified Christ affixed to its east side. INTERIOR: aisleless with vertical slit windows to north and south walls and roof sloping upwards towards chancel, on laminated timbers beams, so that roof deck is separated from the walls by a narrow glazed strip. Light is thrown onto the east wall by a concealed window at the east end of the nave. Sanctuary is raised two shallow steps, and altar was originally raised on two further steps against the east wall. It has now been moved forward. Altar is a black painted metal framed table with a varnished timber top. Font of polished limestone with fossils is in the original position to liturgical south side of sanctuary. Timber lid with schematic metal dove. Large timber cross behind altar, comprising two pairs of overlapping beams, penetrated symbolically by large nails. Timber sedilia on metal supports. Laminated timber pews. Organ above entrance to sacristy .A strongly sculptural design with a powerful presence. Vicarage not of special architectural or historic interest.
Listing NGR: SK3952785115
© Mrs Barbara A West. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: West, Barbara A
Rights Holder: West, Barbara A
Brick, Slate, 20th Century Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship