This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
RAMSGATE HIGH STREET TR 3765 SE (south-west side) 8/187 No. 124 GV II* House, now offices. Early Cl8. Brown brick with red brick details, with concrete/tiled roof. Two storeys, attic and basement on plinth with moulded modillion eaves cornice to roof with Dutch shaped gables, 3 flat roofed dormers and stacks to left and to right. Regular fenestration of 5 glazing bar sashes on first floor with fielded aprons below, and 4 glazing bar sashes on ground floor with gauged heads.
Basement openings to centre left and to centre right. Central door of 6 raised and fielded panels with moulded step and footscraper in doorcase with fluted pilasters and projecting moulded architrave.
Fluted frieze with brackets to moulded and projecting cornice. Recessed wing to left with door of 6 raised and fielded panels. Interior: marble Neo-classical fireplaces, contemporary staircase and panelling reported. In 1802 the home of Nathaniel Austen, shipping agent and ropemaker (Cannon Road nearby was in 1735 and still in 1822 a ropewalk) and banker. (Busson, 69;70; Collard and Hurst 1822).
Listing NGR: TR3798865193
© Mr Peter Keeble. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Keeble, Peter
Rights Holder: Keeble, Peter
Brick, Concrete, Tile, Stuart House, Georgian Monument <By Form>, Domestic, Dwelling, Office, Unassigned, Building