This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
5306 STATION ROAD (West Side) ------------ SK 3516 2/18 8.5.50. Former Midland Railway Station
1849. Architect possibly Robert Chaplin. Centre and 2 flanking outer bays each side. Further 3-bay eastern wing. Ashlar, plinth. Cornice and blocking course.
Roof not visible. Same roof line throughout but eastern wing has lower storey accommodated in ground slope. Greek Doric style. Centre advanced entrance with wreathed paterae on frieze and fluted engaged pillars flanking double door of 8 panels set in shouldered architrave. Steps approach doors; solid stone block at west side of steps may have been used as mounting block. Flaking recessed wings each with 1 bow window, centre door at western side. Outer advanced bay of 1 window in shouldered architrave - the latter extending to top of plinth.
Glazing bars. Eastern wing with 2 C19 barred casements, ends in bay with 2 windows.
Listing NGR: SK3556416268
© Mr Peter J Ellis. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ellis, Peter J
Rights Holder: Ellis, Peter J
Ashlar, Victorian Railway Station, Transport, Railway Transport Site