This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CLAWSON, HOSE & CHURCH LANE HARBY Long Clawson SK 7227 Church of St Remigius 34/37 1.1.68
Church. C14 and C15 with earlier origins. Chancel and transepts largely rebuilt and church extensively restored 1893. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone dressings, lead roofs to nave, aisles and porches, slate roofs to chancel and transepts. Chancel, vestry, central tower, transepts, aisled nave, N & S porches. 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window and 2-light windows to S all with hood moulds and C19 Decorated-style tracery. C19 vestry to N has similar 2-light windows to N and double-chamfered door to E with hood mould and label stops. Tower has battlemented parapet and 2-light bell-chamber openings each with different Decorated tracery: that to E with round trefoil-headed lights and trefoil to head, cinquefoil-headed lights to N with mouchettes to head, those to W and S with trefoil-headed lights with patterns of mouchettes to heads, and all with hood moulds. Transepts have 3-light windows to N & S with C19 tracery of cinquefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil to head, both with hood moulds. Small, blocked round-headed Norman window to E side of S transept, cut from one stone. Nave has 3- window clerestory of 2-light windows, those to N C19 with cusped heads to lights and straight heads, those to S lack tracery and have Tudor-arched heads; all with hood moulds. N aisle has 3-light window to left of porch with Ogee-arched heads to lights, straight head and hood mould with label stops. N doorway has sunk quadrant moulding, hood mould and late C18/early C19 panelled door. Large N porch has doorway with deep hollow chamfer between thin chamfers and hood mould, off-set flanking buttresses, blocked 1-light window to W with straight head and chamfered surround. Battlemented parapet to gable only with cinquefoil-headed niche to apex. S aisle has 3- light window to right of porch with Cinquefoil-headed lights, 4-centred head and hood mould. S doorway has chamfer and depressed ogee-arched head and 6- panel C18 door. Porch has double wave-moulded doorway with hood mould and label stops, probably former corbel heads. Small blocked 1-light window to E with chamfered surround and straight head. Battlemented parapet to gable only, with sundial to apex. W end has 3-light window to nave with Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. Aisles have 2-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds with label stops. Interior: Crossing arches have semi-circular responds and chamfered piers, moulded capitals and triple-chamfered arches. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded capitals and double- chamfered maws. NW pier has circular abacus, doubtless re-used.
Octagonal font with blank tracery to stem, shields in quatrefoils to bowl and leaf carvings to angles of underside of bowl. Royal Arms of 1799 signed J Tyler; oil on canvas. Present C19 High Altar conceals inch smaller, lower altar of limestone dated 1737 with Latin inscription in panel begining DEO TRIUNO and recording its gift by Rev William Turvile. Monuments: stone effigy of arums-legged knight, late C13, very worn, said to be William Bozon. Large slate wall monument with shaper top to Mrs Mary Turvile d.
1737. Similar wall monument to Rev. William Turvile d. 1740, put up by his second wife Ellen and recording his rebuilding of the rectory. Wall monument of veined marbles with obelisk top to Robert Garton d. 1792.
Restoration in 1893 was Preceded by a proposal to demolish and rebuild the church to the designs of John Howitt, architect of Nottingham. Buildings of England, Leics., 1984, p.278.
Listing NGR: SK7221827188
© Mr Peter J Ellis. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ellis, Peter J
Rights Holder: Ellis, Peter J
Ironstone, Lead, Limestone, Slate, Medieval Effigy, Commemorative, Commemorative Monument, Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Wall Monument