This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
WEST ANSTEY WEST ANSTEY SS 82 NE 2/52 Church of St Petrock - 20.2.67 GV II*
Parish Church. Probably C14 core to nave and chancel, remodelled in C15. West tower, mid C15, and late C15/early C16 north aisle. Re-roofed 1842. Major restoration of 1879 by William White. Unrendered stone rubble, tower roughly coursed. Slate roofs with clay ridge tiles and gable end.
Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch.
Exterior: west tower of 2 stages, with diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet, and north-east polygonal stair turret. Cusped-headed 2-light bell-openings to each face. Statue niche on south side. Perpendicular 3-light west window above pointed arched doorway with Pevsner 'B' type moulded surround. Nave, chancel and north aisle have entirely C19 Decorated style fenestration, of 3 and 4 lights to nave, 2 lights and single light to south side of chancel, 3 lights to east end of nave and north aisle, and 3 of 2 lights to north side of aisle. Gabled south porch with C19 shaped bargeboards and outer door of 2 leaves. Perpendicular style wagon roof with curved motifs along the crenellated wall plate and curved bosses at the intersections of the ribs. Hollow moulded surround to pointed arched inner doorway with original ledged plank door and old lock and iron handle.
Interior: C19 roofs throughout. Crown-post to nave, arch-braced to nave. North aisle arcade of 4 bays with Pevsner 'A' type piers and standard leaf capitals. In the C19 an inner bay was added to the chancel. C14 ogee-headed piscina in south wall of chancel. Altar table and reredos 1879. Tiled floors, some late medieval tiles survive in the north aisle. C19 pulpit. 3 C16 benches with elaborately carved bench-ends survive to rear of nave. Tall wave moulded C15 tower arch. C12 font with lead lined circular bowl, with thick cable moulding round the base and palmette and dog-tooth patterning above. Unusual tower arch screen made up of the hollow-chamfered ceiling beam re-used as a headrail and its joists with run-out stops forming the muntins. Beam and joists are painted with chevron and patterned decorations. The timbers are said to have come from the chapel near Town Farm, West Anstey, demolished in C19. Fragments of medieval stained glass survive in the south chancel window, otherwise C19 coloured glass in all the windows.
Listing NGR: SS8521427490
© Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Hooper, Hedley R.
Rights Holder: Hooper, Hedley R.
Rubble, Slate, Stone, Medieval Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship