Church Of All Saints

Date:
14 Jan 2007
Location:
Church Of All Saints, Main Street, Kirby Underdale, East Riding Of Yorkshire, East Yorkshire, YO41 1QY
Reference:
IOE01/15769/08
Type:
Photograph (Digital)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.

KIRBY UNDERDALE MAIN STREET SE 85 NW (north side) 3/35 Church of All Saints - I

Church. Of west tower and nave, mid C12 arcades, chancel and south porch 1870-1871 by G E Street. Coursed rubble with herringbone work, ashlar, graduated slate roofs. 2-stage west tower, 2-bay aisled nave with westward extension to south aisle, south porch, 2-bay chancel with north vestry.

West tower: mid C12 west door of 2 round orders on nook-shafts with scallop capitals: chevrons to outer order, broad roll-moulding to inner.

Immediately above the door is a small oblong window. Belfry openings of 2 square-headed mullioned lights. Crenellated parapet. Nave: C19 triple lancet to east: similar paired lancets with shouldered openings to west.

Early C13 pointed and double-chamfered south door with nailhead to capitals.

North wall has round-headed door with continuous narrow chamfer (now blocked) flanked to east and west by 3-light pointed windows with reticulated tracery. Round-headed slit window to east wall of north aisle.

Chancel: plinth, scroll-moulded sill band. Two 2-light pointed windows with quatrefoil plate tracery. Triple stepped lancets to chancel east wall, all under pointed arch with continuous narrow chamfer. Interior: round unmoulded tower arch on roll-moulded imposts. North and south arcades of pointed arches with continuous chamfer on virtually flat scalloped capitals on cylindrical piers with moulded bases. Above each arcade may be seen the heads of the windows to the Cll nave. Mid C12 chancel arch - round-headed, of 2 orders: the inner with a double roll-moulding on scalloped capitals, half-cylindrical responds, and carved bases: a swirled pattern to the south, stepped to the north. At the west end of the north aisle a Roman carving in shallow relief of the god Mercury has been built into the wall of the west tower. Faint traces of wall-painting survive on the faces of the voussoirs to the Cll nave windows. In the north is a memorial slab to Roger Wilberfoss of Garrowby, died 1532: black letter inscription around a central coat of arms.

Listing NGR: SE8084258589

Content

This is part of the Series: IOE01/2109 IOE Records taken by Les Waby; within the Collection: IOE01 Images Of England

Rights

© Mr Les Waby. Source: Historic England Archive

This photograph was taken for the Images of England project

People & Organisations

Photographer: Waby, Les

Rights Holder: Waby, Les

Keywords

Ashlar, Rubble, Slate, Early Medieval Church, Medieval Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Commemorative Monument, Commemorative