This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
CHARLOTTE ROAD 1.
5104 Edgbaston B3 No 13 and 14 SF 0685 SW 46/5 27.ll.81 II GV 2.
Circa 1845 virtually semi-detached villas designed as a symmetrical pair.
Two storeys red brick with 3 storey tower features projecting each end. Stucco dressings, plinth, sill bands. Low slate roofs with boxed eaves. Low hipped roofs to towers. Chimney stacks composed of 3 or 4 narrowly arcaded brick shafts with common cornices, one set bridging gap between houses. Three bays each including the tower. Sash windows in stucco architraves with moulded sills on consoles, eared architraves with cornices to those on ground floor.
On the towers the lst floor window also have cornices, their blocking courses acting as bases to square framed 2nd floor window with miniature profiled volutes and consoles at head to eaves. Grooved pilaster porches partially overlapping the towers, entablatures with doubled muted consoles to cornices, blocking courses. Four panel doors with side lights. No 13 retains 2 storey screen wall coach house with rubber brick segmental arched doors and side door. Stucco coping carried out from 2nd floor sill band of adjoining tower.
No 13 was the home of Joseph E Southall, an eminent Birmingham artist, and contains painted doors and other items related to him.
Listing NGR: SP0630085298
© Mr Walter Chinn. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Chinn, Walter
Rights Holder: Chinn, Walter
Brick, Slate, Stucco, Georgian Villa, Victorian Agriculture And Subsistence, Land Use Site, Domestic, House, Dwelling, Wall, Monument <By Form>, Barrier, Coach House, Transport, Road Transport Site