This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
ALGERNON ROAD SE13 1.
4424 (West Side) Church of the Transfiguration (now altered and used as Day Centre for the Deaf) TQ 3775 13/L9 30.8.54
1882 by James Brooks. Tall, red brick building with high pitched, slated roof. Cross-gabbled bell turret with slated fleche. Gothic style with lancet windows. Low aisles with gabled porch sections at West ends. Stone window linings. Blank arcaded ground floor at West ends with carved bricks in heads and shaft capitals. Brick continuous hoodmoulding to windows. Good wrought iron door hinges and porch gates. Inside nave divided to form theatre and subsidiary rooms; and lst floor inserted for games rooms. Stout round piers support pointed brick arches. 2 1/2-bay chancel, with similar piers, remains as chapel.
Listing NGR: TQ3772075875
© Mr Richard M. Brown. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Brown, Richard M.
Rights Holder: Brown, Richard M.
Brick, Slate, Victorian Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Place Of Worship, Day Centre, Health And Welfare