This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SJ 73 SW LOGGERHEADS C.P HALES, Tyrley
12/148 Church of St Mary
Parish church. 1856. By George Gilbert Scott. Pink sandstone ashlar, plain tiled roofs with coped verges and crosses to gables. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch and north organ chamber; Decorated style through- out. Tower: in 3 stages with prominent stepped angle buttresses and hexagonal stair turret to south-east corner; embattled parapet over carved cornice with gargoyles to corners; deeply chamfered 2-light openings with quatrefoils above to belfry, west window of 3 lights.
Buttressed nave in 3 bays; windows of trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoils above, all with hoodmoulds. Gabled stone porch in first bay from west on south with cusped lancet immediately to left. Chancel: in 2 bays, also with Decorated-style windows similar to those in nave; priest's door on south withballflower moulding to innermost order; East window of 3 cusped lights with elongated quatrefoils above. Lean-to organ chamber to north. Interior: tall, narrow pointed tower arch with ball flower ornament to soffit; arch-braced roof with central purlin in 3 bays to nave; wide pointed chancel arch with carved foliage decoration to corbelled responds , chancel with panelled roof in 2 bays. All fittings and furnishings, including richly carved font, stone pulpit with green marble columns and stained glass, are mid-C19 or later. No monuments of note. The church was founded in mid-C19 by Revd. Alexander Buchanan, 'squarson' of neighbouring Hales Hall (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SJ7134733972
© Mr Clive Shenton. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Shenton, Clive
Rights Holder: Shenton, Clive
Ashlar, Sandstone, Tile, Victorian Parish Church, Religious Ritual And Funerary, Church, Place Of Worship