This information is taken from the statutory List as it was in 2001 and may not be up to date.
SX 99 NE BROADCLYST CHURCH LANE,
Broadclyst 9/79 Burrough's Almshouses - - II
Almshouses. Founded and endowed in 1605 by Henry Burroughs for 12 old people.
Largely rebuilt in 1833 but the structure appears to incorporate some old material.
Red sandstone with volcanic trap dressing, gabled-end slate roof. A 1-storey range of rooms extending along Church Lane, with tall plinth, and 14 single-light, square- headed windows set high with chamfered stone surrounds and latticed panes, 7 to each side of a central entrance through arch. 6 axial stone stacks with brick shafts.
Windows to rear, all 3-light, with completely renewed concrete ovolo moulded jambs and mullions.
Listing NGR: SX9819797153
© Mr Keith Mackenzie. Source: Historic England Archive
This photograph was taken for the Images of England project
People & Organisations
Photographer: Mackenzie, Keith
Rights Holder: Mackenzie, Keith
Basalt, Sandstone, Slate, Tudor Almshouse, Elizabethan Religious Ritual And Funerary, Stuart Health And Welfare, Jacobean Domestic, Residential Building