Nurses in the nurses' sitting room of Cold Arbour Hospital
- 24 Jun 1939
- Cold Arbour Hospital, Abingdon Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire
- Photograph (Print)
The original caption may contain language which is historic and which may no longer be considered appropriate. It has been retained in the record in the interest of historical accuracy.
The caption on the reverse of the photograph reads: “Oxford City isolation hospital, Oxford. Part of the very comfortable and spacious nurses’ sitting room at the Oxford City Isolation Hospital.”
In the mid-1880s, Cold Arbour hospital – the Oxford City isolation hospital – was built, replacing the city’s first fever hospital built in 1871. The hospital provided treatment for infectious patients and fever cases previously accommodated in fever wards at the Radcliffe Infirmary and in a nearby workhouse; the original two-ward hospital was enlarged in 1894 to enable the admission of more patients. A replacement for the hospital at Cold Arbour was opened in 1939 but due to the Second World War the transition did not take place. Instead, Cold Arbour hospital was used primarily as a secondary tuberculosis hospital until 1954, caring for patients who were beyond the treatment provided in the Osler Pavilion. After this time, the hospital was re-opened as a rehabilitation hospital. See also MED01/01/0428-0430. High-resolution copies of this image are available for free for non-commercial use. Please Enquire to place an order.
Source: Historic England Archive
Photographer: Topical Press Agency Limited
Photographer: Harrison, Norman Kingsley
Sitting Room, Infectious Diseases Hospital, Health And Welfare, Women
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.