Part of the kitchens at Cold Arbour Hospital

Date:
24 Jun 1939
Location:
Cold Arbour Hospital, Abingdon Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire
Reference:
MED01/01/0430
Type:
Photograph (Print)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The original caption may contain language which is historic and which may no longer be considered appropriate. It has been retained in the record in the interest of historical accuracy.

The caption on the reverse of the photograph reads: “Oxford City isolation hospital, Oxford. A part of the large and well equipped kitchens at the Oxford City Isolation Hospital, Oxford.”

In the mid-1880s, Cold Arbour hospital – the Oxford City isolation hospital – was built, replacing the city’s first fever hospital built in 1871. The hospital provided treatment for infectious patients and fever cases previously accommodated in fever wards at the Radcliffe Infirmary and in a nearby workhouse; the original two-ward hospital was enlarged in 1894 to enable the admission of more patients. A replacement for the hospital at Cold Arbour was opened in 1939 but due to the Second World War the transition did not take place. Instead, Cold Arbour hospital was used primarily as a secondary tuberculosis hospital until 1954, caring for patients who were beyond the treatment provided in the Osler Pavilion. After this time, the hospital was re-opened as a rehabilitation hospital. See also MED01/01/0427-0429. High-resolution copies of this image are available for free for non-commercial use. Please Enquire to place an order.

Content

This is part of the Series: MED01/01 Series of prints; within the Collection: MED01 The Medical Collection

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Topical Press Agency Limited

Photographer: Harrison, Norman Kingsley

Keywords

Kitchen, Infectious Diseases Hospital, Food And Drink, Health And Welfare