The proscenium surround depicting a Spanish courtyard in the auditorium of the Odeon Cinema

Date:
Apr 2005
Location:
Odeon Cinema, 72 Hill Street, Richmond upon Thames, Greater London Authority
Show all locations
Richmond Kinema, Hill Street, Richmond upon Thames, Greater London Authority
Premier Cinema, Hill Street, Richmond upon Thames, Greater London Authority
Reference:
NWC01/01/2932
Type:
Photograph (35mm Slide)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Richmond Kinema opened in 1930. It was renamed Premier Cinema in 1940, and was taken over by Odeon in 1944 and was subsequently renamed again. The original auditorium was converted into three screens in 1972. Screen 1, located in the original circle, retains the 'atmospheric' proscenium surround which depicts a Spanish courtyard, loggias and aediculed openings. It is one of three surviving atmospheric theatre interiors in Britain. Screens 2 and 3 are located beneath the original circle.

Content

This is part of the Series: NWC01/01 Norman Walley: Series of slides; within the Collection: NWC01 Norman Walley Cinema Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Walley, Norman

Architect: Granger, William Frederick

Architect: Leathart, Julian Rudolph

Keywords

Auditorium, Proscenium Arch, 20th Century Cinema, Sport And Recreation