This bridge, also known as Fulham Bridge, dated from 1729. It was badly damaged by a river barge in 1870. Despite repairs its days were numbered and in 1880 work began on a replacement. At the same time the tolls, which had been levied for anyone crossing the bridge, were discontinued. Shortly after completion of the new crossing in 1886, the old bridge was demolished.
This is part of the Sub Series: OFH01/01/01 Negatives taken by William Field; within the Series: OFH01/01 Negatives originating from William Field; within the Collection: OFH01 Douglas Harrod, E P Olney and William Field Collection
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Field, William O
Georgian Church, Georgian Bridge, Toll Bridge