The bridge, also known as Fulham Bridge, dated from 1729. It was badly damaged by a river barge in 1870. It was repaired but its days were numbered and in 1880 work began on a replacement. Shortly after completion of the new crossing in 1886, the old bridge, seen here, was demolished. In the background of this image can be seen the Red Lion public house (demolished 1884) and White Lion public house (demolished late 1870s).
This photograph appears in 'William Fields's Photographs of Putney', compiled by Dorian Gerhold and Michael Bull for the Wandsworth Historical Society.
This is part of the Sub Series: OFH01/01/01 Negatives taken by William Field; within the Series: OFH01/01 Negatives originating from William Field; within the Collection: OFH01 Douglas Harrod, E P Olney and William Field Collection
Source: Historic England Archive
People & Organisations
Photographer: Field, William O
Creator of Archive: Farmer
Georgian Church, Toll Bridge